Meghan Markle & Prince Harry Break Silence About Her Dad's Wedding Exit

posted by Isha Thorpe -

On Monday (May 14), we learned that Meghan Markle's father, Thomas Markle, wouldn't be walking the former actress down the aisle in her royal wedding to Prince Harry after suffering a heart attack.

The heart attack took place last week. According to TMZ, Thomas was hospitalized for it. However, he released himself from medical care to be there for his daughter on her big day. His previous deal that was made with paparazzi was reportedly what caused the attack. The dad said that he meant no harm when he struck a deal to pretend to be unknowingly photographed by paps.

"Markle tells us over the last year he's been ambushed by paparazzi who have photographed him in the most unflattering circumstances ... buying beer, looking disheveled and reclusive," TMZ said. "He's especially upset that they made him look like a lush. Thomas says he doesn't even drink beer ... he was buying it for the guards at the place where he lives."

Unfortunately, this deal caused much fallout with Meghan and the royals. So, that's when Thomas' heart attack occurred. Afterward, Thomas said that he didn't want to embarrass his daughter or the royals anymore and decided not to attend the wedding. 

Since then, Meghan and Prince Harry issued a statement to PEOPLE about the bride-to-be's dad's exit from the wedding and everything that led up to this moment. A spokesperson for the couple said: “This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding. She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.”

When the spokesperson was asked to elaborate on the statement, they said, “We are not getting into further details.”

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's wedding is taking place on Saturday (May 19) at St. George’s Chapel in the U.K. We'll be watching. Will you? 

Photo: Getty Images

Comments

title

Content Goes Here

This ad will close in X seconds.