We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that is the philosophy in the Roker household.
Al Roker from the today show posted a very appetizing breakfast Wednesday morning for his 19 year old son, jsut by using a few items in his fridge, including a left over croissant.
Once the video was posted it gained over 100,000 views in 24 hours of people watching him create this simple yet delicious breakfast.
Of course he had to give his inspiration behind the meal.
“I was trying to figure out what to make Nick for breakfast and we’d had zucchini the night before. There were a couple of leftover pieces of bacon in the fridge,” he explained.
“Who has leftover bacon, first of all? That’s a story,” his co-host Dylan Dreyer interjected.
"Well, I'd made 2 pounds of it and we had a couple of stale croissants," he said. "I thought, 'What can I do with it?'"
Not many can pull off a breakfast at 5:45am, most of us are lucky if we get more than coffee in out system.
"So I just whipped up some eggs, a little half and half, then I tore up the croissants, threw them in, let that soak," he revealed.
adding the left over veggies and bacon then topping it with some cheese.
"I just poured it into a baking dish that I sprayed with some olive oil," he said.
"Do you remember that time you made us tuna fish sandwiches on these delicious croissants?” she asked. "The croissants are flown in from where, Tahiti?"
"Tahiti? Vanilla’s from Tahiti. Croissants are from France," he clarified, smiling.
Here is the recipe below if you want to try and whip it up yourself.. what ingredients would you add?
Al's Leftover Croissant Breakfast
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Crack three eggs in a bowl, add a splash of whole milk or half-and-half, and whisk it all together.
- Tear up a stale croissant and add that to the egg/milk mixture.
- Throw in some leftover cooked zucchini or whatever cooked vegetables you’ve got, add some leftover bacon, grate in some cheddar cheese, mix to combine, and pour it all into a sprayed baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the eggs are set.